Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"whichever way you turn, you end up with your ass behind you," as the swedes would say

Why is it that in the United States you can't criticize your own country? Michelle Obama has said over the last few days that "for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country." Which isn't exactly criticism, but it's being interpreted as such.

And people are mad.

I remember a few years ago my Australian friend said that she again was "ashamed of her country." I don't know what they had done, but it had to do with policy.

Granted, my friend's husband was not running for president, and she was not on TV. She was just on the email with me. But the sentiment, and the difference in attitude, is interesting to me.

In the US, being "unpatriotic" is very bad. It's pretty much the worst thing ever. It's like being disloyal to your family, and criticizing your parents in public instead of keeping it behind closed doors, under the rug, or wherever others won't see it.

I don't think Swedes feel the same way. And apparently not Australians either. To me it's a sign of weakness not being able to take an honest look at yourself.

So an African American woman is proud that finally her country seems to be ready to elect an African American, or a woman, for president? How can that be a shock to anybody? The fact that she can't say it without being criticized is proof enough, I think. It's still not OK with everybody to admit that the world looks different to you depending on where you are standing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To a European, it was a surprise to learn exactly how nationalistic the American society is. And how nationalism is generally viewed as a Good Thing (TM), and also sanctioned by the government. Every school day beginning with the Pledge of Allegiance. When WWII is taught in European schools, children are taught about the dangers of nationalism, and what it ultimately led to. The American narrative on WWII is about How America Saved the World.

Criticizing the government should be viewed as "the American thing to do", i.e. participating in the free society, being an active part of democracy. And by all means, we still can, but are made to feel like traitors (or even called just that) for doing so, if it involves criticism of foreign policy in any way.