Monday, April 16, 2007

they asked me to write a column for a newsletter. here it is.

One of my students spoke in class recently about her study abroad experience in London. There, for the first time in her life, she had seen white people doing low-level working class jobs. Talking about it made her nervous and uncomfortable.

Another student talked about when his church, this past Easter, held a multilingual service. Only a fraction of the congregation had shown up. His friends later told him that they didn’t want to waste time listening to languages they don’t understand. My student was disappointed.

We live parallel lives in the US. Parallel, and insulated. From lack of practice we develop insecurities around talking about social and cultural differences.

Today much of race relations are defined by popular culture. That’s the source to which, subconsciously, students take many of their questions. As a society we leave a lot to Carlos Mencia, Don Imus, and the talking heads on CNN. But it’s up to anyone to reclaim the discussion.

I think the recent theme party, and its aftermath, provide beautiful ‘teaching moments’. For myself, what I want my students to take away is the experience of having talked about tough issues with people different from themselves. I want them to be able to reflect on what the world is like for different groups, and I want them to recognize where they themselves fit in. Above all, I want my students to practice talking with, and learning from, other people. So that next time, when I am not there, they can do it for themselves.

I am not saying that it’s easy. But if we want a better world, it's our job to try harder, be braver, and take on issues others shy away from. A university is a place where the future is shaped, right?

No comments: