Sunday, January 27, 2008

hope

My interest in politics is strong, but most of the time I am too idealistic and impatient to be drawn in. I get frustrated and angry.

Barack Obama is the first politician I have heard speak in a way that really resonates with me. Ever since moving to the US 12 years ago I have had a hard time reconciling what I have seen around me with the rhetoric of American politics.

During this time I have seen a lot of tension between races, but also a lot of learning and transformation. I am convinced that people can learn from each other, care about each other, and overcome great challenges. I've seen it so many times. It's been surprising to me that no one ever speaks about it. It seems in general people want to believe that race was dealt with in the 1960's, and if you treat people as if they are the same, they will become the same.

Great achievements were made in the 1960's. But the truth is also that since then people have not really gotten any closer. There is a great deal of division. Until now, no one has spoken about a unity that would be inclusive.

What is happening now makes me happy and optimistic, and my boyfriend is laughing at me for getting all worked up.

I don't care. The world is changing, I am telling you.

No comments: