Thursday, July 24, 2008

pet peeve: grammar edition

I don't know when it happened, but at some point people started attaching the prefix "pre-" left and right in unnecessary places like it would save their life. Drives me nuts!

Cooking shows are the worst. There they "pre-sift" flour, "pre-cut" tomatoes, "pre-chop" onion, and "pre-wash" salad greens. In short (and here comes my favorite), they "pre-prepare" ingredients. They actually say that. "Pre-prepare". What's wrong with people? "Pre-prepare" is tautological, meaning that you say the same thing twice. I'll get it the first time, don't wear me down.

The thing is that without exception that added-on "pre-" can be taken out, without the meaning being changed. I mean if I say that I have cut the tomatoes, the verb tense indicates that I did it already, right? And that I did it before whatever is going on now? What more do you need to know?

No comments: