Saturday, July 12, 2008

pet peeve/mini rant

I bought some really tasty bread the other day, and on it I put butter, and really tasty ham. I had no plan, I was hungry and just grabbed the closest things. It was super good. And it reminded me of France and the sandwiches you buy to-go in bakeries.

One thing that Americans do that irritates me and sometimes drives me plain crazy is assuming that "European", "French", and "Italian" (other European countries usually don't count) equal fancy and complicated. That is so not true. The trick of good cooking (or, as in this case, good assembling) is using high quality stuff and being able to make three ordinary things taste wonderful together. Simplicity.

Same goes for the Los Gatos Diner milkshakes, actually.

2 comments:

cecilia said...

well, from a european point of view, is there anything more complicated than american cuisine, or american take on other countries cuisines? Go to a restaurant and everything is som american thai-italian modern eclectic fusion with twenty different things happening on the plate.

I like a good old steak and chips. Or oven cooked fish with no frills.

Lotta K said...

Yes, I was thinking of the "American take". I like it when the immigrants make their own food, it;s one of the best things about San Jose. One of my students were looking for a community of Thai people recently and had a hard time until she looked up the Thai restaurants. There they were!