Saturday, September 06, 2008

last chemo

So yeah, I just completed 20 weeks of chemotherapy.

For several reasons I haven't talked about it much, but I was diagnosed with stage two breast cancer earlier this year. I had surgery, and then the chemo. And now it's over. Yesterday was my last day.

It hasn't been bad. (Knock on wood.) Before you start they tell you all about the different side effects. It's a long list. I've been lucky. I haven't had many. I am doing good.

I did loose my hair, eyebrows, and eyelashes. But a scarf and make-up make that less obvious. The hair is coming back already, short and gray. I am thinking in a month I'll have styling options.

Cancer is a scary disease, but it also teaches you to focus, and to appreciate life. A woman I met today was talking about the horses she wants to raise when she is done with all her treatments. She had had eight horses before she got sick, but she said that cancer had made her poor. A single mom she had had to stop working, and sell the horses. And move to the city to be closer to the hospital.

Horses, not for me... But I find myself wanting to make things. Time to think.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Starkt jobbat!!

Lotta K said...

Tack!

Petchie75 said...

Lotta, jag håller tummarna för dig och skickar en massa positiva tankar!
Stor kram!

Fia said...

Grattis!! Nu hoppas jag att allt är avklarat och att du inte får några framtida men. Visst är cancer något som skrämmer, men det är också en upplevelse som tvingar en att förstå sig själv och sina rädslor, men också att se hur stark man faktiskt kan vara.

Jag har varit cancerfri i 11 år nu och måste säga att jag har aldrig träffat på så många kompetenta och varma människor som då jag fick behandling.

Gå ut och fira!!
Kram,
Fia

Lotta K said...

Petra, tack! Postiva tankar hjälper!!

Fia, grattis till dig! 11 år är en lång tid. Och visst är sjukhuspersonal fantastisk. Snälla, glada och mycket att göra.

barbara kelley said...

you are a true hero. that's all. babs

Lotta K said...

thanks babs. and thanks again for the flowers. still very pretty.

Isle Dance said...

(((((Lotta))))) I am thinking of you and praying all is better soon. About the only thing I can think of, is reading The China Study and Green for Life, especially in times like these.

http://www.thechinastudy.com
http://www.rawfamily.com/index.htm

Anne said...

Det visste jag inte, jag ryckte till då jag läste din text. Men jag är glad, väldigt glad, att läsa att din behandling nu är över och att du mått rätt bra hela tiden. Jag har alltid tyckt du verkar vara en så stark, modig och positiv människa. Egenskaper som du säkert haft nytta av många gånger i livet, inte minst nu. Lycka till i nuet och framtiden, med allting. Kanske uppylla några drömmar, om inte hästar så nåt annat?

Lotta K said...

Isle, thank you! Prayers help, I am sure of it. I will check out the websites too.

Anne, tack! Jag har strålning kvar, men det verkar mycket enklare att tas med (ta i trä). Och jo jag funderar över vad jag skall göra... foto finns ju alltid där så det kanske blir något med det.

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm so happy your chemo is over. When I last saw you I believe you were only half way there. How time flies by... I love you Lotta and can't wait to see the new hairstyle ;0) BIG XOXO's - Noel

Lotta K said...

Hi Noel! I think when you were in Santa Clara I was still on the nasty chemo. Last 12 weeks were easier. Now I have lots of energy!

I have Anderson Cooper hair right now. It's coming back salt, salt, and pepper! Hopefully that will change. (On AC it's adorable, of course.)