Wednesday, November 08, 2006

myself, I think it's pretty (yep. I am an american now.)

My friend Åsa came to visit last year, right before Thanksgiving. When we passed a house decorated like this (it might even have been the same one) she took one look, and asked one question:
-Why?
It's not that she doesn't appreciate holiday decorations. She does. She appreciates them more than the average person, in fact. But being from a country that, naturally, does not celebrate the most American of holidays she hadn't seen hay and dried corn decorated fences before and it didn't make any sense to her.

I thought that was funny and I have thought of it every holiday since then, whichever one it has been. Because traditional things of any culture rarely make any sense in themselves. And if you actually take a look at them, they too are as weird as prettily arranged hay with miniature pumpkins on top.

No comments: