Friday, November 10, 2006

the thin white duke

Every Thursday before my evening class I have coffee in the same coffee shop across the street from the department. Last night the young woman (mid 30's, I think) who has made my latte for the past several weeks came up to me as I was drinking the coffee and reading papers.

- Are you a teacher?
- Yes.
- Aren't you a litte young to be the teacher?
- No, I am really not...
- I thought you were a student!

And then she went on to ask me what department I was in, and chatted some more.

After this little interaction I finished reading my papers, and got ready for class. As I was gathering my stuff my phone rang. When Dan calls my phone plays David Bowie.

So there I was, in a leather jacket I've used for almost 20 years, my winter boots (15 yrs), answering a phone that played 1970's Britpop.

Maybe now it's time for that gabardine suit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This story made me laugh out loud. I can hear you saying "I am really NOT."

Compliment no?

Lotta K said...

I don't know, there is just something weird about that jacket. A couple of years ago people loved it, because one or other designer did distressed leather jackets that season. So I would walk in to high-end stores and women would yell that they loved my jacket and was it by so-and-so? I would answer them no, it's just old. And now for some reason it makes me look young. Weird.