Tuesday, November 13, 2007

that's the author, right there. she made it. susanna alakoski.

I just finished reading a novel that is a devastating account of what it might be like to grow up the child of alcoholic parents. The novel is in Swedish, and it's called Svinalängorna. The title compares the low income housing where the family lives to rows of pig sties. Supposedly the term was used in the author's childhood by social services employees, referring to her neighborhood.

The book was hard to get through. It describes the family's life in blunt and sordid detail. The main character is a young girl and it is easy to identify with her. She tries to keep things in order, cleans the family's apartment, brings part of her school lunch home to feed their dog, tries (unsuccessfully) to keep her dad from beating up her mom, and tries (unsuccessfully) to keep her mom from swallowing too many pills.

I have read reviews that talk about the story's 'dark humor', but I really couldn't find any. I didn't laugh. I didn't smile. I was scared. Every time Leena had a tummy ache I had one too.

Many kids grow up the same way, right now, all over the world.

No comments: