Saturday, August 23, 2008

americans won't use toilet paper to blow their nose

Once or twice I have offered toilet paper to an American who needed to blow their nose.

I won't make that mistake again.

They look as if I had offered them used toilet paper, at least.

Seemingly unrelated, but related story:

A nice dinner in Sweden, especially on the West coast, likely features seafood of some kind. Sometimes nothing else, except for toast and sharp cheese. It's very good.

I remember listening to an American who had been invited to an upscale version of a dinner like that. He was in shock. The hostess, seated next to him, had been using her fingers, and the juice from the crab and the lobster and the shrimp had been all over her hands and forearms. He said she had behaved like an animal. He was appalled and intrigued at the same time.

I said that's how you eat seafood in my country. He didn't believe me.

One of my best friends goes fishing a lot when she visits her parents on the West coast where we grew up. Then she transports her crab and lobster and fish across the country to Stockholm where she lives. She and her mom (who boils the lobster and the crab, and boy are they delicious) has perfected a system for her to get them home safe and still frozen.

When I visit my friend in the summers, I get to pick what I want to eat. I am so happy I don't know what to do with myself. We eat in her kitchen. The juice from the crab or the lobster is all over our hands and forearms, but we dry ourselves off before eating a piece of toast, or drinking some wine. That's how you do it.

What we use to dry ourselves? Had it been my parents' house, or most other people's houses, it would have been paper towel. There would be a roll sitting right there on the table. Informal and practical.

At my friend's house it's toilet paper. She can't be bothered to buy both paper towel and toilet paper. She says it's the same stuff anyway, just cut differently. There is always a roll of toilet paper in her paper towel holder on her kitchen wall.

So that's a cultural difference right there.

(And in our country paper towel and toilet paper actually are the same. Swedish toilet paper is sturdier than the American version. But that's another story.)

9 comments:

Ascaca said...

Jepp. Såna är vi! :-)

Anonymous said...

Dear Lotta K. A friend of mine searched for my blog and found yours! We have the same alias but my blog is on http://blogg.expressen.se/osorterat/.
I envy you, living in such a beautiful city as San Francisco. I was there in 1980 and I only have happy memories from California. Just wanted to say hi and send you some greetings from Sweden. Rgds Lotta K

Anonymous said...

i don't even own a box of tissues. toilet paper all the way! or "bath tissue," depending on where you're at.

Petchie75 said...

Ha ha, men så klart!!
Jag har hushållspapper nuförtiden men väldigt länge brukade jag säga att det var "vuxenpoäng" på att köpa det - toapapper går ju lika bra!

Lotta K said...

Hej Lotta K! Ja visst har vi snyggt namn. Vad kul att höra från dig!

Anonymous said...

Varför skrev jag på engelska...jag vet ju att du kan svenska...men jag använder engelska varje dag i mitt jobb...fast mest standardfraser...cleared hit o dit...och sånt. Ha en bra dag!

Botany's Desire said...

How funny. I never thought about this issue before, but I guess it is a cultural thing and I think it would in a way be a problem for me to use toilet tissue in the kitchen especially if I did not see it directly removed from the packaging and then put into the kitchen.

Lotta K said...

I know! It;s super funny people see things so differently. I have lived in the US for 13 years and I really see both sides of it.

chieko said...

I would gladly accept toilet paper from you to blow my nose. That's what I use at home! Here's a link to a funny article about the "hay fever hat" in Japan. Make a lot of sense.

http://greenwellplumber.com/blog/hay-fever-hat-toilet-paper-on-your-head