Friday, December 19, 2008

makes your insides warm and happy

I just made a kick ass glögg. I've borrowed the technique of steeping spices in alcohol from somewhere online, but other than that it's my own invention.

I took (roughly, I didn't really measure):
2 long cinnamon sticks (the real stuff, from Ceylon), broken into pieces
5 cardamom pods, inside content only
15 whole cloves
2 pieces of fresh ginger, 1 inch/2.5cm by a quarter inch each
1 vanilla pod, sliced open
7 whole allspice
3 pieces of lemon peel, about 2 inches each, yellow part only

I put all of that in a jar and I covered it with rum. I've read recipes that call for brandy, but I had rum so I used that. I let it sit for two days.

Then I opened a bottle of Spanish wine, and poured it into a pot. I added the rum and spices, and warmed it gently. I added a deciliter (0.4 cup) of light brown sugar, and a splash of port, and heated it some more. Then I let it cool, strained it, and poured it into bottles.

Yeah I tasted it too.

3 comments:

Åsa said...

Mums!
En riktigt God Jul till dig med!

Anonymous said...

so. after all that tasting, was all right with the world? merry, merry... bk

Lotta K said...

o it was merry alright. new concoctions in the making.