Sunday, March 29, 2009

someone suggested I'd go platinum

After the chemo my hair grew back gray. The chemo didn't make it gray, it was gray before. But it had been covered by color for the past 20 years so no one really knew that it was that gray.

Looking around me I realize no women my age have hair their natural color. I am the only one with the salt and pepper.

Every day I think about coloring. It would add some spark to my face. It would make me feel younger. But I hesitate.

Someone told me I shouldn't color my hair until I have 'embraced the gray'. I can see the point of that. It can never be healthy to want to hide something about yourself.

On the other hand, who's to decide what is natural, anyway? Should we also not have our hair cut? What about wax, spray, gel?

People tell me they like my hair. 'You are totally rocking the gray', one of my students told me.

Women my age say they like it too. I tell them it's funny they like gray hair as long as it's not on their own head.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jag färgade mitt hår igen i lördags, eller rättare sagt, O färgade mitt hår i lördags. Jag är inte redo att embrace the grey, that's for sure!
Min mamma, som är 25 år äldre än jag slutade färga sitt hår någongång efter 45, jag tycker att det är jättevackert men jag väntar nog 10 år till... Min spanska svärmor däremot som är 7-8 år äldre kan ICKE förstå att min mamma inte färgar sitt hår, kulturskillnad!? Svärmors hår är ofta färgat i konstiga hårfärger som hon väl kommit över billigt (nu är jag elak men jag blev väldigt sårad när hon började kommentera på min mammas hårfärg - som hon bara sett på foto) och ibland färgar hon även svärfars hår (det lilla han har kvar) med den färg som blir över! De ser inte kloka ut men hon tycker att det värsta skulle vara att vara gråhårig!
Jag tycker att du är så vacker på din profilbild, inte behöver du färga över det grå - om du inte vill!

Becki said...

I too like the salt and pepper. I just looked at your profile picture and your face "pops" anyway thanks to your beautiful blue eyes.

But, who am I to say anything? I am 27 years old and have been coloring my hair since middle school! I don't even know what my natural hair color is.

Regardless, color or no color, you are beautiful, smart, funny, loving, charming and so many other adjectives that I can't think of right now. And I feel lucky to know you.

Becki said...

When I said "pops" I meant "sparks." But I think the first works anyway. :)

Lotta K said...

Hi Petra and Becki, thank you both, you are very sweet!

I saw a woman the other day with orange hair. It was the same shade as her sweater, and I was thinking she obviously likes the color! I think it;s true there comes a time when you should stop coloring, but it;s really hard to know when that is...

ingegerd said...

I saw your new picture and my first thought was "damn, she looks good! And strong!" Having said that, I just did highlights closer to my own color than the blond highlights I´ve had since I was 18 or so. Thought it would go well with my 40 years. I wish I could say I like it, but I don´t, next time I´ll go lighter again. The message - I don´t know, do whatever makes you happy when you take a look at yourself in the mirror in the morning, I guess.

Lotta K said...

Yeah... but it gets complicated when different things make you happy in different ways! I enjoy being free of color, because that means I am free of always checking the roots and always having to redo them. I also feel I am giving a small personal kick in the butt to the massive industry that keeps women down. That said, like you say, Ingegerd, I sometimes miss looking the way I used to look.