Sunday, January 22, 2012

rest in peace, annaa

A few days ago I learned that someone had died. I received an email with a link to a news story about a woman being found dead in the basement of an apartment building (the story is in Swedish, sorry if you don't read Swedish). The email told me that the woman in the story was someone I knew.

The woman, Annaa Mattsson, was a writer, and her stories have been a part of my life on and off for a long time. When I was in high school she was a reporter at the local paper where I lived. For the past few years I've read her blog, which she updated almost daily.

Many of her readers have said the same thing after learning about her death: That even though they never met in real life, her voice had become an important part of their lives. And now, after she has died, there is silence and emptiness in a way that they had not anticipated.

Someone who does a lot of online teaching once told me that there is a certain intimacy to online interactions. That's true. I think what the internet does sometimes is let us listen in to other people's thoughts. That is an amazing thing when you find someone whose thoughts are as refreshing as Annaa's.

2 comments:

Katie H said...

I'm sorry about her passing, and hope that she did not suffer. I know what you mean about the blogalongs though, I've followed several on and off through the last five years, yours among them.

As a fellow Swemerican, I laugh at the similarities and the idiosyncrasies of the countries, and I am glad that you have come back to write here. I suppose I return to read about as often as you write, so it works out well!

As for the Siri-entry, I hear you!

Lotta K said...

Hi Katie, thanks for stopping by! I'll definitely make an effort. What kind of Sweamerican are you? Recent, not so recent?