Tuesday, September 26, 2006

things that grow

Fennel grows in the wild here. I have heard stories about how the Italian immigrants to this area would pick it and how others couldn't understand what they were doing and wouldn't believe they were going to eat it.

Other than that I have been thinking a lot about people lately. What they say, what they don't say, and why that is. Things like that.

I am reading the latest book by Bodil Malmsten, a Swedish author who at the age of 55 moved to France without really knowing any French. I read a comment by a 25-year old who said that she too wants to live in France and write books. What I wanted to say to her was that France and old farmhouses aside, are you really prepared to take a risk? Whatever a risk would look like in your particular case?

I don't think piggy-backing on someone else's risk taking counts.

(The book is lovely.)

No comments: