Saturday, October 21, 2006

gusztav

I just read a story online about my high school math teacher. I knew he was Hungarian, but I didn't know he had escaped from Budapest as a 16-year-old in 1956 with just a friend for company. I didn't know he actually climbed the Iron Curtain to get out. At the Jugoslavi border the Iron Curtain was a 10 feet barbed wire fence, and that's what he climbed.

Or maybe I did know, maybe he told us. But I sure didn't understand. My first year of high school I was actually 16 too, but whenever he might have told us his story I am pretty sure I was older already.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wagner? Jag är rätt säker på att han aldrig berättade för oss. I så fall borde man väl sett på honom med lite andra ögon?

Lotta K said...

Man hoppas... jag misstanker att jag visste men inte begrep. Las Bohuslaningen idag! Stor artikel. Finns online.