Sunday, February 18, 2007

das leben der anderen

On Friday I interviewed an 80-year-old German immigrant lady who told me, amongst other things, about being young during the second world war in Germany. She said that when you have had grenades hit everywhere around you and bombs hit the house nextdoor, and when you have had your father and your 15-year-old brother be prisoners of war, then you don't take war lightly. She also said that it hurts to hold your arm up in a ten minute Hitler salute.
Then tonight I saw the German movie The Lives of Others. It tells the story of intellectuals and artists in East Germany under surveillance by the Stasi in the 1980's. It's very moving and funny. Great film.

So all in all I have brushed up on my German, and all in all I have learned a lot.

No comments: