Wednesday, April 04, 2007

pollen

Spring quarter started. Whether is great, flowers everywhere.

I have been listening to Swedish radio (P1) for a couple of weeks, for the first time since I moved here in 1995. And what strikes me is how amazingly Americanized it is. I am really surprised, and not so amused. I think it's dumb. For instance: when they talk about diabetes, world-wide health concern that it is, they have to interview kids on the streets of New York. First we have to listen to what the kids have to say in English, and then we have to listen to the journalist summarizing what they just said in Swedish. Everything takes twice as long, and the story becomes watered down and boring.

No, I don't think they should skip the translations. I think they should stop being so Anglo-centric, non-Anglos as they are. Hegemony in action, right?

Interview Swedish people already.

No comments: