Saturday, March 15, 2008

this pisses me off

Presidential historian Doris Kearns Goodwin told Tim Russert this morning that the reason Hillary Clinton is successful among blue collar workers is that she presents herself as having had to work hard for everything, and blue collar workers relate to that. Whereas Barack Obama is an intellectual, and seemingly above gritty work. Even though his life may actually have been harder.

So again it's all about appearance. And the lesson is this: don't make it look easy.

If you make it look easy, people will think that it is.

Make it look hard. Whine and brag and tell people that you've struggled. They will believe you.

I am reminded of a 6'2" black young woman I had for class once on a predominantly white campus. "People think it's easy", she said.

And I had to tell her that people thought it was easy because she made it look easy.

Swallow your pride and whine, is that the advice we should give?

2 comments:

cecilia said...

so true, so true, i agree!!! i would like to see hilary actually roll her sleeves up - that could be interesting:)

Lotta K said...

this one really got to me. I am still mad.