Sunday, February 08, 2009

when you think of it

I have lived in the US for almost 14 years. During the same time my friend Hans has lived and worked in Croatia and Bosnia, Pakistan, India, and Indonesia. Right now he is in Côte d'Ivoire. He has spent a year or more in each place, and he has traveled a lot.

One time he was in Dubai, I think, on a lay over or a short vacation. The TV in his hotel room had many channels, but he said only one thing was on: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, in lots of different languages.

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire is at the center if Slumdog Millionaire. I saw the film yesterday. I guess it's a feel-good story, but for me the feel-bad took over. Systematic child abuse, poverty, violence, police brutality, and violence against women. The differences between the haves and the have-nots in the world are unbearable.

No comments: