Friday, February 06, 2009

yep, this is why I know how to open oysters, and champagne bottles

My waitressing career was short. It lasted for about a month the summer I was 22 or 23. I worked in a restaurant attached to a hotel, and there were few guests. The chef spent most of his time trying out new recipes, and giving me cooking lessons.

Neither of us had any real bartendering skills, even though we probably served more drinks than dinners.

One time I made a Bloody Mary for Bo Holmström, a Swedish TV journalist. He liked his drink. I pretended it was good because I was a good drink-mixer, but really, it was good because I liked Bloody Marys myself and just made for him what I would have made at home.

The clip shows Mr. Holmström in 1975. He is standing in front of the West German embassy in Stockholm, where terrorists held hostages. What you hear is the bomb that killed 4 people, and injured 25.

No comments: