Monday, October 08, 2007

I made butternut squash soup

half of a butternut squash
one potato
half an onion
5 or 6 garlic cloves
1 chicken bouillon cube
water to cover

Chop everything. Let the garlic and onion sweat on medium heat. Add the veggies and let them sweat too. Stir. Add water to cover, and the bouillon cube.

Grind up some salt with a pinch of cinnamon, and pinch of cloves, cumin, and black pepper. Throw that in the soup. Add a little finely grated lemon peel.

Let everything boil until soft. Blend. Add a squeeze of lemon to each serving and maybe some ground black pepper.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhh this is so exciting! i've been clearing the shelves at whole foods for cartons of butternut squash soup. it was even delicious on sweltering summer days, it's that good! and now that's it's fall when all soup is tops...oooh thank you, i'm going to try the recipe this weekend!

Lotta K said...

have you tried trader's joe's soups in cartons? they are wonderful! there is a grilled red pepper and tomato (I think that's what it is) that;s maximum tasty.

it's so simple to make though. you can throw in whatever you want. today I'll try parsnips.

Isle Dance said...

I love your soup photo. Thank you for sharing the recipe! Oh my, Trader Joe's soups are fab, too. Funny you should mention the grilled red pepper and tomato...as that's the Trader Joe's image which sits in my mind, still!

Lotta K said...

Thanks Isle! I think that red pepper tomato combo is just the ultimate red soup. Memorable indeed! Yesterday I used the parsnips for soup. I flavored it with basically the same things, and in addition cardamom. Not bad either.

Unknown said...

Hi there,

Thought I'd leave my Butternut soup recipe for you. I'm a South African living in Sweden and desperately missing butternut!!
Ingred for 4.
1 whole butternut chopped
Place the butternut pieces in a pot with the butter. Sprinkle librally with ground ginger. Also to saute a little. Pour over a splash of white wine and allow to almost all evapourate. Cover with Vegetable Stock and reduce to a simmer. I used to blend the soup in a blender when ready for a nice smooth consistency. Then just prior to serving mix in 100ml cream. For a little kick I sometimes add crushed chillies at the same time I add the ground ginger...

Regards
Lynn