Monday, October 29, 2007

they are in business to make a profit, but that's their problem, not mine

I went to a talk this evening. Among the people participating was a woman called Carole Leigh Hutton. She is the executive editor at The San Jose Mercury News.

To make a long story very short, Ms. Hutton told the audience that The Mercury News is in business to make a profit, not to serve the public interest.

OK. I think this is were we will go our separate ways, then.

Because:

- I use google news to update myself when I need to know what has happened since I checked last. I watch CNN for the same reason. If a really big story is breaking google news will point me to whoever has the latest details.

- I have given The New York Times its own easy access firefox button on my computer.

- I use google news/Sweden when I want stories from my homeland. And I have several Swedish papers' websites bookmarked.

- I read blogs by food writers because I like food and cooking, and the food writers give away their stuff for free on their blogs. I read blogs by Swedish expatriate women because that gives me identification. I read one blog by a very funny woman in Oklahoma.

- And, guess what, I watch Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

I don't need the Mercury News. Especially not for fast updates.

But if someone would publish a good local weekly magazine, I'd read that. I'd even stalk them to give me a job.

Because, guess what, as things are, I don't really get any local news.

No comments: