Wednesday, March 08, 2006

she's 86 now

I just read an interview with Doris Lessing where she is quoted as having said this about her most famous novel:

"Nobody is going to believe this, but when I wrote "The Golden Notebook," I had no idea I was writing a feminist book. Because I had been putting into it the sort of thing women had been saying in their kitchen. But something said doesn't have the effect of something written."

I used to go home from work at night knowing that if I had had a good conversation that day, that meant I had done a good day's work. I don't feel that way anymore; somehow now I need more tangible evidence. I think many people are the same way. That may not be a good thing. We should pay attention to what people say. In their kitchens and whereever they are.

No comments: