Saturday, November 17, 2007

my pet peeve of my pet peeves

Monica inspired me to watch Swedish news online this morning. She had discovered Miro, and I downloaded it also. It seems cool.

Then I went on to the Swedish Television website to see what they had there. And as I was watching a brief news story I realized that in two minutes I had heard three different languages: Swedish, German, and Norwegian. The German and the Norwegian were subtitled. That allowed me to hear the languages and at the same time read the translations. I like that. You always learn something.

American news media rarely let you to hear anything but English. If ever they interview anyone in another language, a voice over English translation drains out the foreign language.

I really dislike that practice. I don't like not being able to hear the original language. And, to me there is a certain amount of oppression in canceling out someone's voice.

The most annoying part of it is that they choose to let people with accents read the voice over translations. Instead of someone speaking their own language, the person who is being interviewed is then turned into someone who speaks English with an accent.

Speaking English with an accent is not neutral. It can connotate anything from lack of status and knowledge, to exotic other-ness. If you speak with an accent you know that, and you will develop strategies to cope with the misconceptions.

"Giving" someone an accent through the use of voice overs turns them into someone they are not. No longer an autonomous original, but rather a failed attempt at being American.

Did anyone ask for that? And, who benefits?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They do this in the UK too, the voice-over with an accent. extremely annoying and demeaning as well. the swedish way is so much better. i miss the subtitles too!

Lotta K said...

I am so happy someone is agreeing with me! I find it super annoying and go off on a rant and people roll their eyes! So Thank You!!