Wednesday, November 21, 2007

pet peeve (2). yep, I am that lady. (no, not that lady. besides, that's a porsche.)

One thing that drives me crazy is people who pull up behind someone in a parking lot and wait just so that they can get their spot. When I am stuck behind someone like that, I honk. When I am the person they wait for, I drag my feet. I think they should just drive on, park somewhere else, and walk. It's quicker. And that way they wouldn't involve other people in their quest for prime parking. I don't like it when people drag me into things. I hate it, actually.

I went to Safeway today, and it was an early afternoon day before Thanksgiving frenzy in there. Random people with lists in their hands looking for "sugar" and "cranberries". I had a list in my hand too and at least one person gave me an in-the-club kind of nod.

So I got my things and came back outside again carrying maybe three medium sized bags.

In my cool but tiny car you load groceries into the passenger seat. The trunk is in the front, and it's wide and shallow and nothing will ever stay upright. The backseat, well it's behind the passenger seat, so why bother? The front seat is easier to get to in a two-door.

So I walk to the right side of my car, and as I am trying to find my keys in my bag, I look up. There is a line of four cars behind me. I glance at the first car, and "oh you lazy..." quickly flutter through my mind. At the same time the woman who just parked opposite me comes over and starts talking about when she owned a car just like mine and what year is it? and what happened to the front? I say it's a -72, and that someone punched my car in the nose at some point and took off. Bla bla bla. It's very pleasant. I've had hundreds of conversations like that. Lots of people owned Karmann Ghias when they were younger and get all nostalgic when they see mine.

Then I notice her jeans, and I like them so I give her a compliment. She says those are her 'holiday jeans', and then she takes a final look at my car and says "they say that they have the heart of a Porsche". And at that point I am real close to start talking about the early Karmann Ghias and the relationship to the VW Beetle and Ferdinand Porsche. But I remember the four cars waiting so I just smile and walk over to the other side and get in and back out and drive away. Enough is enough.

Her jeans had embroidery on them, flowers down her left leg. Way cool.

No comments: