Monday, November 26, 2007

q&a

Q: Why "nationalistic pig"? It sounds so harsh. I get the point, but how about something more like "nationalistic firefly"? Same fierceness and passion I envision with you minus the fat and gluttonous connotations. :)

A: We Swedish people (so it's not just me, and it actually goes for at least the Finns too) tend to apologize when we are nationalistic. We were raised to think that is bad. It comes from wanting to distance ourselves from the nationalistic views of Hitler's Germany. We don't like to wave our flags because that's what the Germans did then, claiming superiority. (My generation was raised to be international-istic, rather than nationalistic, so that comes more easily for us.)

6 comments:

Kjelleman said...

Hehe, a "nationalistic" Rufus T. Firefly.

Lotta K said...

I don't get it Kjell? who is Rufus?

Kjelleman said...

It's the character Grouch Marx is playing in "Duck Soup". Watch it btw, watch all of them again, I just did. They're all brilliant. You can find torrents with almost all of them.

Funny thing, the country where he is "the leader" is named Freedonia.

Isle Dance said...

Funny. I see Swedish/other flags as a warm welcome to where those people are. But of course, if bad stuff was happening where any country was flying their flag and they were trying to force me to participate in bad things, I'd see it differently. You're safe. :o)

Lotta K said...

I think Nordic Lutheranism also makes us think that feeling of pride and love for our country should be kept internal, and not put on display.

But I like it that you like the flags, because I really do too!

gsm said...

well said. thank you.