Tuesday, January 08, 2008

sí se puede

Barack Obama made a speech today in which one reoccurring phrase was "yes we can". Again his speech was inspirational. The MSNBC commentators were impressed, and said that they heard echoes of Martin Luther King's famous I have a dream speech.

I actually heard echoes of Cesar Chavez, and the motto of The United Farmworkers.

The Spanish Se Puede has often been translated as Yes We Can, even though that translation has been criticized. "Yes, it can be done" is a more accurate translation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of Ethnic Studies and Intercultural Comm dialogue about race is most often a black and white issue with no room in between. All the other colors of the rainbow are frequently excluded from conversations about race, ethnicity, etc. It's easier to recall the MLK speech despite the fact that Obama's mention of "Yes we can" is almost a direct translation of "Si se puede". I'm going to tell my migrant students. Ha!

-Frustrated Migrant Student Counselor

Lotta K said...

Dear Favorite Migrant Student Counselor,

I have a good feeling about my new Minorities and the Media class. I really really REALLY hope you will have time to come visit. (TTh 11:50-1:35, maybe not the best time for you...?)