Wednesday, October 24, 2007

it happened exactly like this

A couple of people looked me straight in the eye a while ago talking about a health bar. They told me it is sooo good, and sooo good for you, and they were surprised I didn't know of it since it is Swedish. I didn't say much, because I thought they were wrong. I thought I would know about something that actually came from my homeland.

Then I forgot all about it until I was in Safeway some days later. I went over to the shelves of health bars to look for something Swedish.
And there it was. The Lära Bar. Nothing signals a Swedish product like that 'ä', right?

So I turned it over. The corporate offices are in Denver, Colorado. According to the company website, the founder's name is Lara, and she had the idea for the product while on a hike in the Rocky Mountains.

Nothing Swedish there, except for Lara turning herself into Lära.

When looking for information just now, I naively googled 'Lära Bar'. No hits. Then I googled 'Lara Bar', and there it was. The 'ä' is not a letter, is just there to be pretty. You get the point. The idea is that if you use those weird looking letters, your product becomes healthier. In the mind of the American consumer, it even becomes Swedish.

The company also produces something they refer to as JŎCALAT. More of the weird looking letters. I googled that too. I found a site that describes the JŎCALAT Lärabar. It also makes references to the MAYA bar, and talks about how the ancient MAYA civilization first brought the chocolate to the world.

So there you have it: Want to market overpriced chocolate bars with nuts and fruit in them to people who are exceptionally health conscious, and don't think of themselves as chocolate eaters? It's easy! Just mix and match a few cultural references, make your product look sleek and clean and springing from the ancient civilizations. Make it Mayan-Scandinavian. People will gobble it up.

10 comments:

Petchie75 said...

Ha ha, det är väl lite som Häagen Dazs, eller är det haägen dasz? Det betyder väl egentligen ingenting, men det ser coolt ut med lite prickar!
Det fanns en rock grupp som hette Hüsker dü - men nog stavas väl det "husker du" och det betyder "kommer du ihåg" på danska...

Lotta K said...

Jag frågade just Dan om Hagen-dazs (stavningen är en chansning). Han sa att han alltid utgått från att det är tyskt. Jag trodde alla begrep att det är påhittat!

Unknown said...

ethnic is the new black.

Lotta K said...

What freaks me out is that from my perspective what I see is that white is the new black.

Ing said...

And here I was thinking Swedes are known only for free sex and massage, not somthing a healthbar necessarily would like to be associated with...

Also, what a great idea with the music, I don't really want to leave your blog once I end up here. It is "trivsam" (swedish word of the day).

Lotta K said...

Thanks for liking the music! That website is the coolest thing. You create your own playlist, all for free, at projectplaylist.com.

Anonymous said...

Intressant. Har sett Lärabar och tog för givet det var svenskt.

Beträffande musiken, jag tycker också den är jättebra. Helt i min smak. Brukar ha datorn på med din sida uppe så jag kan höra musiken :)

Lotta K said...

Anne, jag tycker det är jätteintressant att du trodde det var en svensk produkt! Vet du varför? Tror du det har det med ordet "lära" att göra, eller hur omslaget ser ut? Eller något annat? Kan man köpa dem i Sverige?

Kul att du gillar musiken! Jag skall lägga till lite låtar när jag får tid...

Anonymous said...

Helt klart pga namnet! Just "lära" och Ä:et kändes så svenskt. Jag tog för givet nån svenskättling, utlandssvensk börjat sälja produkten och ville ge ett svenskt namn åt produkten. Speciellt eftersom det ju faktiskt är ett ord, "lära", något som liksom betyder något och inte bara två prickar ovanför ett H eller något annat konstigt.

Lotta K said...

Tack Anne!

Nej visst, prickarna över H är verkligen för knäppa. Eller när det liksom är ett rakt streck ovanför en slumpmässig bokstav. Tror det finns både någon spritsort och energidryck med sånt streck.