Thursday, October 11, 2007

more doris

I am on a couple of Doris Lessing mailing lists, and today there has been a flurry of emails. Usually I get an email about every other month. But now everyone is really happy. Happy intellectuals write cute emails.

There is a quote by Lessing that I sometimes put on a syllabus and use in class. It's from the foreword to the Harper Perennial 1993 edition of The Golden Notebook (a book that was originally published in 1962):

"I am writing volume one of my autobiography, and thinking about some of the people and events that went into The Golden Notebook, I have to conclude that fiction is better at the truth than a factual record. Why this should be so is a very large subject and one I don't begin to understand."

I just really like the idea that fiction will tell the truth, and facts won't.

(The photo shows her in 1962.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Måste läsa om The Golden Notebook!

En helt annan sak; har du uppmärksammat Uddevallabloggen; http://uddevallare.blogspot.com/
en rätt torr och beskäftig blogg typ "det är jag som vet mest om denna märkvärdiga plats" men kul ibland med lite information därifrån.

Lotta K said...

En annan fd uddevallabo skickade samma länk och jag tittade lite. Mitt intryck var precis som du säger. Beskäftigt, fast jag tyckte det hade en underlig tjusning!

För min del skall jag LÄSA The Golden Notebook... Har aldrig kommit igenom den. Har läst massor av annat av Lessing men den är svår av någon anledning.